Guess what? That big networking event you’ve been gearing up for is right around the corner! All your favorite movers,
Wednesday, January 20, 2016
The EDDM program’s primary benefit for businesses is allowing them to send informational or promotional mail-pieces to every address on a particular carrier route without having to address each piece. This means you don’t have to buy a mailing list. And the best part is that the postage is only 16 - 18 cents each. It is the lowest postage rate option available.
How it WorksThe Every Door Direct Mail program, or EDDM, is designed to allow your business to reach every home on any given carrier route anywhere in the United States. You simply select the neighborhoods you want to target, and a USPS letter carrier delivers your mail-piece with the day’s mail. It is not necessary to know the names or street addresses.
A mailing with these characteristics is very efficient for the USPS to process bypassing several steps within the postal service by going straight to the individual letter carrier. As a result, the USPS assigns a very low postage rate to these mailings and they’re delivered as fast as first class mail.
Benefits of EDDM
- No mail list is required. This saves the cost of acquiring a mail
list, the cost of addressing the mail piece, and the cost of maintaining
the mail list.
- Small mailings can be quickly produced. Most city carrier routes are
400-600 addresses. By eliminating the time to gather a mail list and
address the mail piece, and with Creative Characters digitally printing
the mail piece, a small mailing can be in the hands of prospective
customers in just a few days.
- No postage permit is required. Most discounted postage rates require a permit. For EDDM, the USPS waives this requirement.
- The mailing panel can be very small. Because the mail piece does not
go through normal mail processing, there are few requirements for the
location and size of the area containing the return address, indicia,
and outbound address.
- The mailing can be directed to residents only or residents and businesses. Even though a carrier route or zip code may have a mix of residents and businesses, you can exclude the businesses and only send mail to residents. However, EDDM cannot be used for business only mailings.
Size of EDDM Mail Pieces
In order to check the size eligibility of a mail-piece you would like to use, contact our EDDM expert – Marya Kaye, 215-923-2679 or Marya@creativecharacters.com.
Some popular EDDM eligible sizes are:
- 4.25” x 11”
- 6.5” x 9”
- 6.5” x 12”
- 8” x 10"
- 8.5” x 11”
- 9” x 12”
- Make it stand out from the rest of the mail
- Provide more room for the advertising message, and
- Be cost-effective to print
Uses for EDDMThe USPS designed EDDM for small to medium size businesses that don’t use direct mail marketing due to cost. By eliminating the need for a mail list, simplifying mail preparation – EDDM is an affordable marketing tool. It is especially effective for local businesses whose customers and prospects come from the area near the business.
Here are a few kinds of businesses most likely to benefit from EDDM:
- Civic and Community Associations
- Dry cleaners, Salons, and Barber Shops
- Automotive Service and Repair Shops
- Jewelers and Vapor Shops
- Gyms, Yoga Studios, and Child Care Businesses
- Spas, Massage Therapists, and Nail Salons
The EDDM program has been very successful for the Washington Square West Civic Association allowing them to mail their newsletter to most of Washington Square West, rather than just members, resulting in an increase in membership. For new businesses, EDDM is a great way to tell neighbors about the business and invite them to a grand opening.
When it comes to deciding how often to mail, EDDM is no different than any direct mail marketing program. Mailings need to be periodic and ongoing to be effective. We can help you determine the best frequency for our mailing. The results of regular, repeat mailings are cumulative – the more you mail, the more likely the recipients will remember your name and utilize your business when they have a need you can fill.
Here are a few ways you can put Every Door Direct Mail to work for your business:
- Invite customers to a grand opening or to a newly renovated or expanded space.
- Include special offers or “neighborhood only” deals to make customers feel valued and appreciated.
- Announce events like clearance sales, kids’ days, anniversary celebrations, and holiday promotions.
- Publicize your participation in community events.
Design, Print and MailBecause EDDM has lots of requirements and restrictions, it’s a good idea to use experts like us to design and print your mail-piece. We will guide you through a series of questions to help formulate the sales message, and call to action. We will provide an eye-catching design with the proper balance between text, graphics, and white space.
For businesses that regularly mail newsletters or postcards to their customers, EDDM may be a way to prospect for new customers who are the neighbors of existing customers. With all these possibilities, EDDM is a great marketing tool for many businesses. For more information and to discuss how EDDM might benefit your business or organization, call Marya at 215-923-2679 or email Marya@creativecharacters.com.
- Help you determine which carrier routes to include in the mailing
- Verify counts for each carrier route
- Make sure the mail-piece complies with all EDDM requirements
- Design and print the mail piece
- Count and tie bundles and add proper facing slips
- Prepare all USPS paperwork
- Transport the mailing to the post office
Tuesday, January 19, 2016
The USPS provides demographic information for each carrier route. The following information is available when selecting routes to target:
- Number of Business and Residential Addresses
- Average Age
- Size of the Household
- Approximate Income
60% of a mailing’s overall effectiveness is dependent on who receives the mail piece. By using demographics to better target your mailing’s recipients, you can dramatically increase your response rate. Contact us to discuss using demographics for your next mailing.
Creative Characters is one of very few companies capable of doing EDDM nationally, in any city in the US. It’s been very successful for our clients. They tell us the postcard we design, print and mail brings more people to their events than store signage, newspaper ads, flyers, radio and online advertising combined! They tell us the increased attendance has boosted sales exponentially.
Increase sales in 2016 with an EDDM campaign for your business by calling the experts at 215-923-2679 or email email@example.com.